kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Saturday, April 9, 2016

H is for the Ascension Hot Air Balloon Festival and the Louisiana Honey Bee Fest

The letter for today is H and here on this A to Z Challenge blog, that stands for hot air balloons and honey bees.

The Ascension Hot Air Balloon Festival takes place in Gonzales, La. each September. I couldn't find information on this year's event, but here's a site from last year. 



Riding in a hot air balloon was something I'd wanted to do most all my life. I finally experienced that dream last month on a trip to visit my in-laws near Phoenix, Arizona. In a word, thrilling. You can read about that adventure here.



H is also for honey bees, which scientists say are in peril these days. So it is fitting that we consider them. Beekeeping is a popular pastime locally. There are several vendors who sell honey at the area farmers' markets. My favorite is Santa Rita Honey Bee Farm, at the Tuesday Cash and Carry Market.




I found traces of a honey bee festival in Ponchatoula, La., but I couldn't find any up-to-date info on the event. I get the sense it is something they do at their farmers market in September to celebrate National Honey Month.



I met some members of a Southwest Louisiana beekeepers club a few years ago. Read that post here.

Check back on Monday, where we'll celebrate the Tickfaw Italian Festival.

3 comments:

Scarlett Braden said...

I've never been to a hot air balloon festival but have always thought it would be magnificent to go. Visiting the A to Z, hope you are having a fun month.
@ScarlettBraden from
Frankly Scarlett

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Thank you, Scarlett. I looked at your blog, too. Quite a mishmash of curious information! Hope you have a good month, as well.

Common Household Mom said...

Honey is so beautiful. It's good that honey bees get their own festival.