kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Visiting Final Vestiges of Autumn

Bob and I went to our home state of Pennsylvania last week. The purpose of the trip was to visit my family once more this year before winter digs in with her cruel icy talons. I also wanted to see some fall foliage.


Funny, we humans, how we tend to take things for granted when they routinely recur. We expect these things, and even enjoy the beauty. But we rarely fully appreciate what we already have. Until we no longer have it. Such is true for me and the fall leaves.

Ohiopyle State Park -- One of my favorite places!



Living in Louisiana, I miss the vibrant hues of autumn; crimson, copper, sienna, golden ocher. Fall in the northeast is as exciting as a brand new box of crayons! We were too late for the peak of fall foliage, but caught the tail end. That was enough for me.



Now that I no longer regularly witness nature's annual costume change, when I do visit Pennsylvania in the fall, I see the landscape with fresh grateful eyes. Even as the the leaves drop to the ground and the colors begin to fade, the trees remain beautiful, to me.


Where did you see pretty leaves this fall?

2 comments:

Common Household Mom said...

I am so, so glad you had a chance to come northeast during autumn, and that you made time to see the leaves. Your photos are beautiful.

Angie Kay Dilmore said...

Thank you, CHM!