kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

kayaking on Loch Leven near Glencoe, Scotland, 2018

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Washington, Louisiana

Somehow I imagine every state in the country has a town named Washington. Geography buffs, is this true? Pennsylvania has one. And so does Louisiana.

We had heard about Washington, La., because it is a mecca for antiques enthusiasts. Today was a perfect day for Bob and I to visit.

Love this old water tower.



We learned today that Washington is the third oldest town in the state, founded in 1720, after Natchitoches and New Orleans. Our time was somewhat limited, so we focused our trip on the old "schoolhouse."



Dozens of antiques dealers sell their wares from inside the school and vendors spill out all over the school yard. We experienced serious sensory overload and couldn't begin to see everything. But we had fun looking!




There's a small cafe on the premises. We ate the best chopped BBQ beef sandwich and red beans and rice. Apparently it is a tradition to write graffiti on the walls there. So Bob left our mark, for posterity.


Where's your favorite place to go antiquing?

3 comments:

Lora said...

Marjie Stewart and I just went to "Sisters" in WV, Melanie Rigney and I shopped in one in Berkeley Springs, WV until it closed, and I really love the Olde Factory in Hummelstown, PA.

Angie said...

Lora, I've never been to any of those places.

Common Household Mom said...

I am not into antiquing, but I love your graffiti!